Bulk of Kamenetz's Cabinet Sails Through Confirmation
Five more face council confirmation on Jan. 3; council approves donation from woman's estate.
The County Council confirmed 13 department heads and top aides nominated earlier this month by County Executive Kevin Kamenetz.
All the nominees had interviews with the council last week. None was considered in danger of being rejected. In the end, all received unanimous approval of the seven-member council.
- Fred Homan, county administrative officer
- Michael Field, county attorney
- Joanne Williams, director of the Department of Aging
- Keith Dorsey, director of Budget and Finance
- Jim O'Neill, director of Department of Corrections
- Chief John Hohman, Fire Department
- Dr. Gregory Branch, health officer
- Robert Stradling, director of the Office of Information and Technology
- Chief Jim Johnson, Police Department
- Timonthy Griffith, director of Department of Social Services
- George Gay, director of Department of Human Resources
- Ed Adams, director of Department of Public Works
- Barry Williams, director of the Department of Recreation and Parks
Five other nominees including Arnold Jablon and Vince Gardina will have their confirmation votes on Jan. 3.
In other council news:
The council unanimously approved the appropriation of $100,000 Audrey R. Dix donated to the county Health Department's Animal Control Division.
"In her lifetime, Ms. Dix was committed to improving the welfare and humane treatment of animals," said Stephanie House, chief of the Health Department Bureau of Administrative Services.
Dix, according to House, adopted a dog from the county animal shelter.
House said the money will be used to purchase an improved air conditioning system for the county animal shelter as well as be used for the purchase of equipment for the humane capture and transportation of animals; for staff training on the prevention of animal cruelty; and for prosecuting animal abusers.