Parents mutter about not having enough time to do the things we want/need to do. It’s particularly frustrating when we carve out free time but can’t find anything interesting to do with our kids. Patch will help you out each week by providing a Grab and Go list of upcoming events and activities that are parent/child friendly.
- Thru Sept. 25, Tinkertoy: Build Your Imagination. Children can build and create their own inventions with a hands-on exhibit at Port Discovery. 410-727-8120.
- Thru Labor Day, Summer of Irresponsible Science. Join wacky workshops that promise hands-on fun at the Maryland Science Center. Look for Pop-Up Science activities throughout the building that allow visitors to see what makes things work. 410-685-5225.
- July 8, Imagination & Creation Exploration. The July theme is ice cream. Don’t get brain freeze as you think about the science behind your favorite frozen treats both dairy and non-dairy. Ages 5-8. 3 p.m. In the Kids Room. Maryland Science Center. 410-685-5225.
- July 8 & 9, Laser Rock Shows in the Planetarium. Maryland Science Center, Planetarium. A laser show with bass pumping and lights flashing on the dome of the Davis Planetarium. 7 & 8 p.m. 410-685-5225.
- July 8 -17, Disney's Camp Rock at CCBC Essex. CCBC Essex's Royal Court Jesters present Disney's Camp Rock, a musical set at summer camp. Call the Box Office at 443-840-ARTS (2787) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for tickets.
- July 9, Recess at MSC with Playworks Baltimore. Kids of all ages are invited to join Playworks for an interactive exploration of fun activities that promote a healthy lifestyle. Playground games and active participation round out the day. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Maryland Science Center. 410-685-5225.
- July 9, Computer Room. Use computers to work independently. Age 13+, Resv. suggested. 1:30-4:30 p.m. Baltimore County Library, North Point, 1716 Merritt Blvd., 410-887-7255. Recurring every Saturday.
- July 9, Teddy Bear Picnic. Port Discovery. A day of activities. Moonbounce (10 a.m.-4 p.m.); Cook and Tell with Wegmans (noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m.); Teddy Bear Picnic Family Activity (12:30-1:30 p.m.) and The Kindersinger (1:30 p.m. 2 p.m.) 410-727-8120.
- July 10, All American Art. Build Baltimore Furniture as part of Family Sundays at the Baltimore Museum of Art. FREE for families. 2-5 p.m, Baltimore Museum of Art, 10 Art Museum Drive, 443-573-1700.
- July 11, Hooked on Fishing., 7880 Stansbury Rd, Dundalk. A MD Department of Natural Resources program for kids ages 8-15. Additional information and registration forms are available at the following locations: MD DEPT of Natural Resources website www.dnr.state.md.us/education/hofnod.html. For questions, contact: Martha Shaum, MD DNR, 410-260-8721.
- July 12, Preschool Storytime Tuesdays. Stories, music, science activities, and lots of hands-on fun. 2 p.m., In the Kids Room, Maryland Science Center. 410-685-5225.
- July 12, Unplugged. It’s an open mic nite for teens age 11-17. Share your creative writing and performing skills. Registration starts at 6:30, performance at 7 p.m. Baltimore County Library, North Point, 1716 Merritt Blvd., 410-887-7255.
- July 13, Choo Choo Blue on the Road. Join Choo Choo Blue for a story time and brief educational activity that will ignite your interest in trains and the railroad! Presented by the B&O Railroad. Ages 2-5 years w/adult. 10:30 a.m. Baltimore County Library, North Point, 1716 Merritt Blvd., 410-887-7255.
- July 13, Computer Know-How at Your Branch. Learn basic computer skills. Age 13+ . Rsv. Req. 2 p.m. Baltimore County Library, North Point, 1716 Merritt Blvd., 410-887-7255.
- July 14, Baby Boosters. Simple stories, music, movement and rhymes for you and your baby. 10:30 a.m. Rsv. Req. Birth-23 months with adult. Baltimore County Library, North Point, 1716 Merritt Blvd., 410-887-7255.