That announcement brings mixed news to lottery players. While winning a lesser prize will get easier, the odds of winning the grand prize will significantly increase.
Participating states, including Maryland, agreed to the changes that took place Oct. 19, according to the Maryland Lottery website.
New game features include:
- The starting jackpot will change from $12 million to $15 million
- The field of numbers from which to choose will change from 1 to 56 to 1 to 75
- The Mega number field will change from 1 to 46 to 1 to 15
- The overall odds of winning a prize will change from 1 in 40 to 1 in 15
- The odds of winning the jackpot will change from 1 in 176 million to 1 in 259 million
- The jackpot annuity payout time will change from 26 years to 30 years